President Trump declared the “dawn of a new Middle East” as he presided over the signing of historic agreements formalizing diplomatic relations between Israel and two Gulf Arab nations.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu signed the agreements dubbed the “Abraham Accords” with United Arab Emirates Foreign Minister Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed al-Nahyan and Bahrain’s Foreign Minister Abdullatif Al Zayani during a ceremony at the White House on Tuesday.
The agreements make the UAE and Bahrain the third and fourth Mideast nations to formally recognize Israel, joining Egypt and Jordan.
The three countries signed three documents — the Abraham Accord, the Declaration of Peace and the Treaty of Peace, Diplomatic Relations, and Full Normalisation — in Arabic, Hebrew, and English with President Trump signing onto each one as a witness. The leaders also signed a separate trilateral declaration of peace.
Expressing deep appreciation for the commitment towards normalization, the declaration primarily focused on the following points:
- Establishment of Peace, Diplomatic Relations and Normalisation
- Charter of Peace guided by UN principles of international law
- Recognition of sovereignty and Setting up Embassies
- Working towards Peace and Stability
- Business and cultural cooperation in the form of education, energy, maritime security, telecommunications, agriculture and food safety, tourism, sports, healthcare, water, and legal cooperation.
- Mutual understanding and co-existence
- Collective understanding of a strategy for the Middle East
- Mutual agreement of rights and obligations under the UN charter
- National legislation and respect for obligations carried out in good faith
- Security and information exchange
- Settlement of Disputes
- Peace Accord to be transmitted to the UN Secretary-General for registration under provisions of Article 102 of the Charter
Read the Abraham Accords Peace Agreement: Treaty of Peace, Diplomatic Relations and Full Normalization Between the United Arab Emirates and the State of Israel
Read the Abraham Accords: Declaration of Peace, Cooperation, and Constructive Diplomatic and Friendly Relations (Bahrain-Israel Peace Deal)
The Abraham Accords Declaration